Friday, April 25, 2014

To Spain!

For the long Easter weekend, Katie Litchfield (my partner in crime for study abroad) and I decided to make our one trip out of the country.  So, we decided to go to Spain!! With nothing but a backpack of clothes, the address of our hostel, and a Rick Steves' book on Barcelona, we were off to experience more of Europe!

~Girona~ 

View of the Onyar River
After taking a bus to a train, a train to a plane, and a bus to a bus station, we finally found our hostel for the night.  The next day, we explored the city of Girona, which was very beautiful.  We hadn't even planned on actually seeing Girona, but I am so glad that we did.  We stumbled upon a depiction of the life of Jesus Christ using statues that were put up for Easter weekend. 

Having the chance to experience some of the religious culture here was a really awesome experience.  A majority of shops shut down all of Easter weekend to offer people more time with their families and to celebrate the wonderful fact that Christ was resurrected. 
We stumbled upon a lovely park just on the backside of the cathedral.  It had wonderful views of the city of Girona and also provided a very relaxing atmosphere that was very welcoming.  The green landscape and outdoorsy feel gave me a very serene feeling, like I was almost at home.















Staying in Girona was my first time sleeping in a hostel!  These are a very different experience... similar to living in the dorms, just with strangers!
Equity Point Hostel
~Barcelona~
After leaving Girona, I experienced my first taste of culture shock.  After buying a train ticket and thinking it was a bus ticket, we finally got straightened out and put on the right train.  This is after, of course, an older man with rotting teeth offered to help us find our platform and upon my decline of his offer, he planted a big ol' wet one on my cheek!  Anyone who knows me well will know that I have a large personal bubble (which I am letting get a little smaller here in Italy), but I am still not comfortable with kissing strangers!  After getting off the train in Barcelona with only the address of our hostel, Katie and I realized how big the city actually is.  With a direction from the tourist information office, a map, and Katie's knowledge of the metro system, we finally made it to our hostel, where the WiFi was down.  It's safe to say that this trip challenged everything that I have, but I know that it has made me a much better traveler and gave me so much more self-confidence.
Barceloneta Beach on the Mediterranean Sea

Mmmm... Tastes like home

Famous "La Rambla" street

Cathedral of Barcelona
 
The first day in Barcelona, we visited the beach, and had dinner at a really great burger place with almost an American atmosphere.  We also explored famous "La Rambla" where the shops and dining services are not the most interesting things... people watching here is really great and the forwardness of some people becomes very known.  In some situations, it's really okay to say no
 The second day, I discovered that I am extremely thankful that my parents taught me how to read a map!  We successfully made it to all of the major things we wanted to see, including the Picasso Museum, a really cool Chocolate Museum and the Arc de Triomf, which led us to a beautiful park filled with people soaking up the Spanish sun.  This park had a huge fountain and lots of people jogging and playing with their dogs or kids; a very lovely family atmosphere!

















Stone in the Picasso Museum


Chocolate sculpture

Of course, my favorite chocolate sculpture!

Arc deTriomf


On our third and last full day in this huge city, we visited the Sagrada Familia.  This is an enormous church began by the architect Antoni Gaudi, that remains unfinished.  The outside of the church has a very Gothic look, while the inside is very modern, bright and open with gorgeous stained glass pieces surrounding the church.  After visiting the Sagrada Familia, we hopped on the Barcelona city tour bus and took in the areas of the city we hadn't walked yet.  
 
Outside view of Sagrada Familia


Beautiful stained glass all around the Sagrada Familia


This says "Give us this day our daily bread," in 50 different languages




At the end of our Barcelona trip, I decided that I have officially arrived at "Appreciation Station."  This means that I am so thankful and grateful for the small, safe town of Siena.  I don't know how I got so lucky to not only be somewhere that I can feel at home, but it also to ironically be the horse capital of Italy!  Seeing the world really makes you appreciate what you have at home, as well as the cultures and people that you have around you.  It really puts everything into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment