Sunday, June 8, 2014

Land of my Ancestors

~Grosseto~

When I made the decision to study abroad, it wasn't hard for me to pick a place to study.  While I have always loved pasta, gelato, and pizza, I have always been fascinated with the magnificence of Rome, the romance of Venice, the landscapes of Tuscany, and the culture of the Italian people.  On top of that, my mom's side of the family traces back to the city of Grosseto which ironically, is only 76 kilometers (about 50 miles) from Siena, where I have been studying.
In 1914, my great grandfather, John Joseph Robustellini left the city of Grosseto to go to America.  Upon arriving in America, he shortened his last name to Robustelli, my mom's maiden name.  When I arrived in Italy, I tried to figure out if any Robustellini's still lived in Grosseto today.  I did find one person, Giuseppe Lucio Robustellini as well as his phone number.  With the help of my site director, Silvia Minucci and after many phone calls, we determined that it may be the same family, but both he and I don't know enough details to really know, especially because Robustellini was a very popular name.  It was still important to me to see the town that my family once lived in. I was pleased to see lots of agricultural land surrounding the city, which was much larger than I expected.



Inside the city, there were many churches and I loved the tranquil atmosphere.  Everyone we came in contact with was very friendly and people seemed generally happy in this city.  There was an art sale put on by a woman's group in Grosseto with the proceeds benefiting a young boy who needs to be sent to America for surgery and another area of town lined with tents showcasing paintings from local artists as well. 
Church of San Francesco

Inside of San Francesco

Bell tower of Church of San Pietro

Cathedral of Grosseto

Inside of Cathedral
From the moment I stepped off the bus in Grosseto, there was a floral aroma in the air.  My allergies definitely noticed, then I realized it was a type of tree that was found all throughout the city. 
After spending the day walking in the steps of my Italian ancestors, I thought again about how blessed I am to be on this adventure.  As I prepare for my last few days in Italy, I am a mixture of emotions.  I know I have changed in ways that aren't apparent to me even, but I know that I have gained so much and have experienced much personal growth through my study abroad experience.  Getting to see my Italian heritage and live its culture was icing on top of the cake.
Grosseto Coat of Arms


No comments:

Post a Comment